Monday, August 29, 2011

Earring-A-Day 29: Mini Pin Cushions

When I sew, I have the terrible habit of putting pins in my mouth, mostly because I have no pin cushions. A lazy Sunday gave me the opportunity to create these mini pin cushion earrings with bottle caps, though I've had the idea in my head for at least the past two Mondays.


I love this fabric- I actually made a tie out of it a while back. So adorable, though you kind of look like a 6 year old going to church on Easter. Having some crazy idea turn out well is the best feeling in the world- and they're not too hard to make either.

Materials and Tools:
- Fabric (scraps)
- Bottle Caps
- Stuffing
- Earring Hooks
- Glue
- Pliers
- Scissors
- Needle/Thread

Start with a circle of fabric:


Use whatever needle and thread you have on hand (I had embroidery floss) to sew a quick running stitch around the outside of the circle.


Then tighten the string, creating a pouch.


Fill said pouch with your stuffing of preference and tie it closed:


Create your bottle cap earrings with (the usual method)- making sure the inside faces front. These caps are plain silver ones we use for homebrew, I didn't take pictures of the other side- sorry!


Put a big glob of glue in the cap and stuff the cushion inside, knot side down. I used Elmer's glue that takes forever to dry, so rubber bands came in handy:


Once it's dry, you have your adorable little pin cushions:


Now I won't have to worry about inhaling pins when I sew! Hooray!

1 comment: