Sunday, August 14, 2011

Earring-A-Day 14: Wine Cork Studs

I think these earrings work well as a concept, and that my execution was just ok and didn't do it justice.


Apologies for the flash photo- it's a super nasty day out and all my non-flash pictures looked awful.

These are wine corks that I colored with sharpies and then carved shapes into. Stud backings were glued to the back. Ta da!

In a perfect world I wouldn't have had to color anything. The goal was to use corks from bottles of red wine, where the corks would've been naturally (and prettily) stained by the wine. Unfortunately the only other corks I had I used on Friday, and really, the color was far too pale to work:


I guess I could've bought a few bottles but I'm not really feeling having to go through that much wine right now. The final results of my improvised method weren't bad- maybe if I'd chosen easier shapes they would've turned out better?

Oh studs, you're the bane of my existence. Or, you know, the Sunday earring part of my existence.

2 comments:

  1. I've been thinking about slicing wine corks up to make earrings out of for awhile... I have a pair like the ones you made earlier of just the corks.

    What did you use to cut them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ally I sliced them with a serrated steak knife, then I carved the stars with a box cutter. That's part of the reason it's so messy haha. I've been looking for an excuse to buy a coping saw for a while though...

    ReplyDelete