Monday, August 1, 2011

Earring-A-Day 1: Flathead Lake Soda Bottlecaps

I'm happy August started on a Monday, it gives me a nice soft start to the month of earrings. Today's are this weird-looking drink that was on sale at the grocery store: Flathead Lake Soda.


Never heard of it before, but 99 cents for four bottles/two sets of earrings was a good enough deal for me. Sour cherry also sounded promising. It tasted alright, not nearly sour enough though- more like a cherry slurpee. The caps are pretty sweet though.


I've gone over the basics of making bottle cap earrings before, but never with pictures so let's do it again! You will need the following:



Materials and Tools:
- Hammer
- Thick nail (or an awl, if you want to get fancy)
- Pliers
- Scrap Wood (I use my cat's scratching plank)
- Bottle Caps
- Earring Hooks

Any bottle caps will do, but twist off is obviously much easier.

First, decide which direction will be up on your caps and hammer the nail through the edge of the cap. Try to get the hole in the middle of the side, if a little closer to the edge. Too far in and you won't be able to get the hook attached.

I was going to get D to hold the nail for this picture when I realized to get the size hole I needed I could just let the nail do the work:


This is why the scrap wood is necessary, unless you like destroying your table. Then it's simply a matter of plier-ing the hooks open and putting the caps on.

Ta da:
 

One day down, hopefully the rest of the month will be this easy...

No comments:

Post a Comment