Monday, August 15, 2011

The Bread Project Week 8: Whole Wheat Potato Bread

Surprisingly on track with my variations on a recipe...well, kind of.

I was debating between two recipes- one from The Wooden Spoon Bread Book, the other from what I just checked out of the library: The Bread Bible by Rose Levy Beranbaum. In love with the latter from what little I've read, but it's a bit intimidating in that most breads require even more forethought than I'm used to (at least a day, maybe three). So I played it a bit safe and did one from the former.

The Recipe: Whole Wheat Potato Bread from The Wood Spoon Bread Book

The Changes: Butter instead of shortening, subbed in 1.5 tbs of honey as I ran out of molasses midway through. Also used one loaf pan and two random pans (all pyrex- one technically for pies, the other a larger oval pan), as that was all I had.

The Result: 


The Verdict: I should probably make smaller recipes. Or start giving this stuff away haha.

Seriously though, this was too much variation from last week's for me to get a good feel for the differences from Week 7's bread, but I'm happy with the result. I want to bake more whole wheat breads (much to D's dismay), and this had good texture and flavor. Still didn't have that potato-bread flavor I'm looking for though.

No comments:

Post a Comment