Monday, August 8, 2011

The Bread Project Week 7: Potato Bread & Flailing

So this week's loaf was someone on a whim. I intended to either remake The Learning Loaf, but maybe braid it? Either that or some english muffins or cornbread with yeast I'd had my eye on. Instead I drew another recipe from The Wood Spoon Bread Book!

Recipe: Dusty Potato Bread

I'd had some russet potatoes in the cupboard that weren't looking especially pretty anymore, and D is always bugging me to make him mashed potatoes. Also, unlike the wheat breads I've been making, D is madly in love with potato bread. So many birds killed with one stone.

I was doing a million other things in the kitchen that day so I let the first rise go on probably a bit too long, but all in all it came out well. Since the only actual potato came from the water the flavor wasn't there as strongly as I'd hoped, but I think it softened the texture up a bit.

My only change was using butter instead of shortening, as that's what I had on hand. Once again I was very pleased with the instructions in the book, and had no problem creating a bread that was delicious.

The Result:


 Maybe I should buy another loaf pan, as that second was made in a slightly larger dish.

Overall I'm feeling more confident in the technique, though I know there's still a ways to go. But given that the whole thing isn't as scary or overwhelming as it used to be I've started thinking about the direction on this project. Lately I've been just pulling recipes that look good or interesting without much thought as to direction. Given that the potato bread wasn't very...potatoy? I'm thinking about making it again next weekend, with another recipe.

Not too long ago I read this excerpt from a Mark Bittman book, which makes a lot of sense to me. I should pick a type of bread and for a few weeks make various recipes, taking note of things I like and don't like. It will give me an idea of what characteristics different ingredients bring to the table. Specifically, D wants yellow potato bread, which I think means eggs- right? So I'll find an eggy recipe, or maybe just one with actual potato in it, not just the water.

That's the overall goal- though don't be surprised if next week I'm making something random again.

No comments:

Post a Comment