Sunday, July 31, 2011

Thing-a-Day Challenge!

So in addition to the Zombie Apocalypse Survival Project, my sister has roped me into a challenge: crafting something every day for a month. Much like The Bread Project, this will force me to create. Unlike The Bread Project, I'm going to pick something a bit simpler, that I enjoy but don't do enough.

Earrings! They can be as simple as taking something, drilling a hole in it, then putting it on a hook. Or very intricate and complex if I feel like it. In hopes that I just won't make the same thing every day I've decided on a few theme days:

Mondays: Bottle Cap Earrings - MUST feature interesting bottle caps, mostly an excuse to buy new beer haha. Also if I don't limit myself to one day a week of these, they will end up being what I make every day.

Wednesdays: Office Supply Earrings - Pretty self explanatory.

Fridays: Upcycled Earrings - Take something that would otherwise be thrown out, try to make it pretty.

Sundays: Studs - I need to force myself to do this, otherwise I'd just make dangly earrings for 30 days. It's also a different thought process which should push me out of my normal creative moves.

In general I will attempt to make them interesting- i.e. not *always* just drill a hole in something and stick it on a hook- but I'm also a fan subverting contexts by doing just that.

I've picked up the following supplies so I can't use lack of basic materials as an excuse: hooks (silver and gold), head pins (silver and gold), and fancy plier set. I still have some jump rings I bought years and years ago as well. Beyond that I do have some backlog I've been meaning to make, but most of this month will be whatever I can find.

Added funness: I'll have to wear my creations every day, even at work- though I usually rock weird earrings so I doubt people will be especially surprised.

Join me tomorrow for the first project!

1 comment:

  1. I like the idea of sporting your earrings the day after you make them... totally stealing that idea for a future wearable project.

    ReplyDelete