Sunday, January 22, 2012

Turkey Chili

This is something you will hear me say a lot: my Le Creuset is probably my favorite thing ever. It was a surprise gift for xmas. I need to give him a name. Suggestions would be appreciated.

This past weekend was so cold. Nowadays I am always cold, so I was just colder. Though I'd planned to make turkey chili this past weekend anyway, the weather really pushed me along to do it. Apologies for the vagueness of the recipe- hopefully it inspires you to kind of wing it, instead of just frustrating you.

Yummy:


Ingredients:
2 turkey thighs
1 yellow onion
A few cloves of garlic (or like 10, if you're me)
2 jalepenos
1 28 oz can of diced tomatos
appox 1 1/2 cups turkey (or chicken) stock
1 bell pepper - green was cheap so I had that
2 cans of beans (I used 1 chickpea and 1 pinto)
1 tbs recaito (or some cilantro)
Bay leaves
Chili powder
Cumin
Chipotle

Helpful tools
Dutch Oven
Tongs (I improvised with two forks)

Put your dutch oven on high heat, once it gets nice and hot drizzle in some oil and sear your turkey thighs. While that's searing dice up your onions, garlic and jalapenos (remove the seeds if you wish- I didn't). Once they get nice and brown move them to a plate.  Be sure to keep those tasty bits on the bottom of the pan.

Turn the heat down to medium and toss in the onion/garlic/jalapeno you just diced and saute for a few minutes until the onions are translucent. Then add your can of tomatoes and the stock. Add your recaito/cilantro, and as much spice as you wish. I enjoy cumin, chili powder and chipotle. Also two bay leaves. Honestly I didn't measure. If you're nervous err on the side of caution- you can always add more later.

Throw your turkey thighs back in and let all that simmer for about a half hour, or until your thighs are cooked through.

While that's going have a bit of fun. Take your bell pepper and wash it well, removing any stickers. Then turn another burner onto high and put the pepper down on top of it. Char the outside well, using the tongs (or the two forks) to turn it to get it it blackened all around. Then put it in a bowl, cover that tightly with plastic wrap and let it cool.

Now take your turkey thighs out and let them cool. Once you won't burn yourself, take your two forks and shred the meat. Add that back into the pot.

At this point that bell pepper should be about cool, so take that out, remove the stem and seeds and cut it so it lays flat. Then take a knife and scrape off that charred skin. Dice the rest and also add it to the pot.

Then drain and rinse your beans and throw those in the pot. Let everything simmer until they're the beans are enough for your liking.

Take another taste and adjust your spices.

Eat, preferably with some crusty bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment