Tuesday, June 7, 2011

The Bread Project - Introduction

Bread is amazing. And delicious.

picture found here. it makes me so hungry
It can be as simple as flour and water, yeast and salt...but there's something kind of scary and mysterious about the process to me. I've always wanted to learn to make it, but then bread- good bread, even- is so cheap and ubiquitous in grocery stores there's really no need. Lately though I've started thinking about the Zombie Apocalypse. Who knows what's going to happen to all the Wegmans-es and Italian Bakeries around my apartment when society collapses. So it's about time I learned to make my own.

Hence:

The Bread Project

The Goal: Learn to make bread, all different types, well.

The Process: A loaf a bread a week...with a little wiggle room. Start with the basics, though knowing me I won't want to do any once recipe too many times. Work up to fancier styles and loaves. Become awesome at making all of them.

This whole thing will most likely be updated once I've gotten a grip on what my goals actually are. One thing I know about myself is that if I don't start something when inspiration strikes, I'll often start making up excuses and never try it. So instead of thinking, I am doing.

I've picked up a few books from stores and the library, though I'm often picking which pictures make me the hungriest. So if anyone has any suggestions on good places to start feel free to comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment