Sunday, July 11, 2010

Leopard Print Hanging Wall Organizer

What to do with a yard of silky leopard print fabric? This tacky stuff was left over from a joke gift I'd made a month or so ago, a tie for my boyfriend's sister's fiance. Now I'm not a leopard-print type of girl (at least, not unironically), so there was a risk of this sitting around forever, taking up precious room in the small amount of craft storage I have.

Searching for something to check out from the library I happened across this book: One Yard Wonders by Rebecca Yaker and Patricia Hoskins.

I figured there would be at least one thing I was interested in amongst the 101 projects in this book, and there were a few that caught my eye. I hate making things that just end up sitting around, so I focused on utility. As we have a giant pile of mail preventing us from using the record player, I decided on the Hanging Wall Organizer.

The instructions were easy to follow, and given the reckless, haphazard style I used to make this project, it turned out well (if a little...curvier than one would hope). The only thing I didn't have on hand were grommets, and once I bought those I realized I didn't have a hammer. Somehow. But that was easily bought and with the addition of two command adhesive hooks, we now have a place to sort things.

If I did this again I'd obviously pay more attention to sewing straight lines. I'd also probably use thicker interfacing on the pockets, as now they can get a bit floppy. Now all I have to do is get D to use it.

No comments:

Post a Comment