Monday, January 5, 2009

Espresso Cookies - Attempts 1 & 2

Coffee and Cookies are both awesome. Wouldn't it be nice if someone combined them? At this point I've tried twice to get it right. The results...well, they were tasty, but tasted nothing like coffee. Despite this small (i.e. big) problem, they still have more caffeine than the average cookie, so I might as well post about them.

Attempt 2
I like my cookies chewy, so I followed this wonderful recipe from Good Eats. Well, not exactly: AP was substituted for bread flour because it's cheaper.

I was able to find instant espresso in the coffee aisle at the supermarket (if it's not there, try the international foods section), and threw a little over a tablespoon into my cookie batter.

I was going to add this as a footnote but it's worth mentioning- instant coffee will not do for this recipe. In Attempt 1 (so botched it's not worth going into detail) I used a tablespoon of instant coffee plus 1/3 cup really strong coffee. Still turned out ok, but even less coffee flavor.

At 375, these cookies took 9 minutes to cook, rotating once.

The result...well, they're good. But still don't taste like coffee. I think the culprit is the dark brown sugar. The molasses drowns out most everything else. Next attempt will feature light brown, and if I have to go all granulated I'll have to switch over to bread flour to maintain the chewy goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment